TITLE: Parks and Recreation Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Parks and Recreation Department
REPORTS TO: Parks and Recreation Director
SALARY RANGE: $31,519-$51,219
JOB SUMMARY: Under supervision of the Parks and Recreation Director, provides responsible and professional administrative assistance for the Director in overseeing daily park functions. Work involves managing park reservations and updating facility schedules, program planning and implementation, corresponding with various government groups and the general public, informing the Parks & Recreation Director of matters that require attention, and other tasks that assist the Parks and Recreation Department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responds by phone, mail, email and in person to inquiries and other requests regarding operation of the department;
- Assists the Director in the preparation of reports, statistical data, and other correspondence; and in the maintenance of files, records, procedures, and other reference material important to the efficient operation of the parks department;
- Prepares and maintains reports, schedules, and payment requests; collects registration, rental, league and program fees;
- Schedules and coordinates the use of Park shelters and equipment by outside groups;
- Utilize recreation programming software for facility booking, class maintenance, and class registration;
- Oversees daily operations including receipt of fees and accounting system input for the Town financial system, coordinating and processing invoices, purchase orders and check requests;
- Maintains records and files, and provides accounting, reconciliation, and contract tracking for services and special events;
- Maintains class registration on the computer, including data entry into Rec1, class number assignment, communication with front desk staff regarding classes, and proofing of each brochure;
- Creates, maintains, and updates automated databases and other files;
- Develops, distributes, and files correspondence, reports, and other documents;
- Receives and processes dog park applications, class and childcare program applications, and maintains files for all Park and Recreation programs;
- Types reports, calendars, and correspondence of a routine nature; performs a variety of data entry to set up, update, and maintain automated files;
- Prepares documentation for and assists with scheduling and preparing for meetings and work sessions with groups such as Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee and any other group with which the Director may become involved;
- Orders equipment and supplies, prepares and processes purchase orders, and arranges for equipment maintenance and repair as necessary;
- Coordinates special activities and projects as assigned by the Director and may assist with special events. Serves as liaison to expedite flow of information and to interpret policies, procedures, rules and regulations of the department, and of the Town to many and varied facets of the Town as well as the general public;
- Manages operations of dog park and membership of dogs utilizing the park;
- Responsible for facilitating and coordinating the Mayor’s Tree Education Initiative with Union County Schools;
- Respond to after-hours emergency phone line;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE,SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), organizational, and analytical skills;
- Working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet computer software; ability to operate computer and other standard office equipment. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products;
- Knowledge of the objectives and ideals of public recreation, including a thorough understanding of activities which make up a Parks and Recreation Program;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with governmental officials, citizen interest groups, other organizations, departmental employees, and the general public;
- Ability to handle multiple assignments concurrently and balance priorities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Associates Degree in a related field and one year of relevant experience and or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience. B.S. degree in Parks and Recreation is preferred.
The physical demands and working environment, which follow, are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk and hear. The employee may be required to sit for long times in front of computer monitor using keyboard. The employee is required to lift, carry, push and/or pull up to forty (40) pounds. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to indoor and occasionally to outdoor environments.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED WORK HOURS:
This is a full-time position. Days of work will require nights and weekends. Position may require some holiday hours.
The above job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. All prospective employees with disabilities are encouraged to contact the Town of Indian Trail to review and discuss the essential and nonessential functions of the job.
We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.