Full Job Description
About Council on Aging in Union County:
Council on Aging in Union County is an independent, non-profit agency that advocates for the well-being of older adults by providing services and resources for them to live independently. To learn more about our agency, visit our website at www.coaunion.org.
The Aging Services Navigator assists clients who are seeking support to age successfully through programs and services available through Council on Aging and other nonprofit, government, and private agencies. This involves working one-on-one with older adults and their family members through office visits, home visits, and outreach events. The major function of this position includes coordinating the Seniors Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) through the NC Department of Insurance which includes Medicare counseling and coordinating volunteers.
- Serve as the coordinator for SHIIP (Seniors’ Health Insurance Information Program) which includes counseling, scheduling appointments, public speaking engagements, and recruiting and supervising SHIIP volunteers.
- Assess needs with adults and their families and recommend, coordinate, and arrange for services to meet identified needs.
- Maintain and update a resource directory for aging services.
- Compile information, stats, stories, and programs to be used for COA newsletters and social media platforms.
- This position plays an integral role as part of the agency’s professional staff and can give support where needed which includes greeting assisting walk-ins, answering phones, assisting with equipment and supply donations, attending meetings, presenting programs, and speaking engagements.
- Work with team and community partners and address economic, emotional, social and environmental needs of older adults with a focus on aging in place.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- A positive attitude and passion to serve older adults with patience and dignity.
- Desire to work with team members and maintain positive/inviting culture within organization.
- Strong attention to detail an ability to multi-task.
- Considerable knowledge of the aging process and needs of older adults regardless of their socioeconomical status.
- Ability to communicate well with older adults, volunteers, and agency personnel.
- Ability to learn and retain knowledge of Medicare, community resources, public benefits.
- Proficient use of computers, design and media platforms for word processing, spreadsheet, presentations, email, internet, graphic design and programs; including program-specific reporting programs, Zoom, Google, Microsoft, MailChimp, social media platforms.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with volunteers, community groups interested in the programs, coworkers, supervisor and the general public.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and in written forms, and to make presentations/public speak to groups.
Minimum Qualifications: Associate’s Degree in Human Services field from an accredited college or university and at an appropriate amount of relevant experience in aging services. Prior experience with Medicare is not required, but an aptitude for receiving and implementing specialized training with strong attention to detail is a must.
Preferred Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree in a Human Services field from an accredited college or university; two years related experience. Professional experience with Medicare programs and assisting older adults is an advantage. Bilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Public speaking experience in a variety of settings is preferred.
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week. Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Benefits: 30 PTO days per year that begins accruing after 90-day introductory period (10 Vacation, 10 Sick, and 10 Holidays); Health Insurance available for full-time employees after introductory period. Retirement plan available for part-time and full-time employees.
We are looking for someone who is hard-working, has a positive attitude, ambitious, friendly, outgoing, patient, and professional. Our Aging Services Navigator needs to be an extremely organized person who always carries a smile on their face with compassion in their heart. If you think you'd make the next great addition to our team, please send us your resume.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $44,200.00 per year
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- M-F 8:30-4:30